We are proud to support the important work of the Weston A. Price Foundation.
Dr. Price's Findings
Weston Price & the Wisdom of the Ancients
Dr. Price's research challenges us to rethink what "True Health" is, and what constitutes "Health Food"
What happens to children when their parents eat a rich, nutrient-dense diet before conception, and what happens when parents instead eat the empty, refined foods of the West? Find out in Dr. Price's monumental book Nutrition and Physical Degeneration
- Although the diets of these indigenous groups varied widely, they each shared very important commonalities: they ate liberally of animal proteins and fats, including seafood, organ meats, fish eggs and raw dairy products; they prized animal fats as essential to vibrant health and successful reproduction; they included lacto-fermented foods like kefir and cultured vegetables; seeds, nuts and grains were soaked, sprouted, fermented, or leavened to remove harmful anti-nutrients and to increase digestibility and nutritional value; and of course they ate foods in their natural, unrefined state. In addition, a significant percentage of their diets consisted of raw foods, from both animal and plant sources.
- Traditional diets contained at least four times the calcium and other minerals and TEN times the fat soluble vitamins from animal fats as the American diet. In fact, these peoples attained their extraordinary health with diets that would be labeled as dangerous or full of excessive fats by both conventional and alternative dietary wisdom today. Yet the health crisis we are experiencing today in this country has not been solved by low-fat diets or strict vegetarianism. It is time to leave behind the confusing dietary opinions of our era and return to the foods that have nourished healthy generations for millennia.
- Our natural state includes not only disease-free health, but also robust physical development: with wide, thick bone structures, strong musculature, and the realization of the same genetic potential that these healthy, non-industrialized peoples enjoyed. When we abandon our traditional rich, nutrient-dense foods for the empty foods of the Western world we fail to develop to the magnificent potential within us.
- Your potential for health is determined before birth. We all know that by taking folic acid supplements, mothers can prevent certain birth defects. Price's research suggests that while such minimal supplementation may help us avoid overt birth defects, we can do much more to have optimally healthy children. Dr. Price found again and again that the groups he studied understood the importance of providing both future parents an extremely rich diet for years before conception. To birth and raise truly radiant, healthy children we would do well to return to the wisdom of our ancestors—and their time tested preconception foods and practices.
- What is at stake is not just your health and that of your children, but the very future of humanity. In studies, animals given a deficient diet not only declined in health, and not only gave birth to compromised young, but infertility rose after just one generation, and reproduction ceased after three to four. Going into our fourth generations on processed, refined foods, infertility among people in the US is now at an all time high! (Around 35% of couples today from under 5% in 1930.) We must wake up to the long-term consequences of our actions, and soon!
Dr. Price’s incredible research suggests that we ignore traditional wisdom about nutrition at our peril. By bringing in the vast experience of our human family, Price takes us high above the bickering and contentious confusion that is today’s world of nutrition, into the realm of immutable laws of nature. From this perspective, the central question to ask about a particular diet is whether it embodies the traditional wisdom that nourished our healthy ancestors, allowing them to have unbroken generations of truly healthy children – and to reach their full genetic potential.
Inuit (Eskimo) Mother and Child
Dr. Weston Price discovered that healthy tribal groups fed special foods to parents before conception and during pregnancy; and to children during their growing years. His analyses showed that these foods were exceptionally rich in the fat-soluble nutrients found only in animal fats such as butter and marine oils. The universal "primitive" tradition of feeding nutrient-rich foods to pregnant women and growing children puts western medical practices to shame.
1) Traditional Wisdom
2) The Pioneering Research of Dr. Weston A. Price
3) Summarizing Dr. Price's Findings
4) What is our full genetic potential? How do we reach it?