- Used in cooking as a thickener and substitute for flour or cornstarch
- Rich in naturally occurring minerals
- Helps with acid/alkaline balance
- Soothing to the digestive system
- Non-GMO and gluten-free thickner
- Free from additives and preservatives
A healthy thickener for gluten-free cooking.
Arrowroot is a white powder extracted from the root of a West Indian plant, Marantha arundinacea. This powdered arrowroot looks and feels like cornstarch, and is an excellent thickening agent for cooking and baking. It thickens at a lower temperature than flour or cornstarch and 1 teaspoon of arrowroot can be substituted for 1 tablespoon of flour. Powdered arrowroot is often hard to find, even in health food stores that seem well-stocked.
The only starch product with a calcium ash, Arrowroot is a nutritious food and gluten-free thickener that assists in the body's maintenance of acid and alkaline balance.
Arrowroot only thrives on tidal flats where the sea minerals are available. Its known health-building properties may be due to trace minerals from the sea, as well as from the calcium it gets from the sea water. Arrowroot is not a refined product; it is simply the dried and powdered root.
non-GMO arrowroot powder (Maranta arundinacea)